Tuesday, August 19, 2008

School work. ENGLISH

Posted by X

Well today was another day with a ball and chain. I had English today and we had to write an essay on To Kill a Mockingbird. Fun..... to the least. But I have now finished it. Upon doing this essay I was thinking, where am I going to use the skills I have learnt from writing an essay in REAL life. So I thought and thought, and I could not come up with any ideas. But it has to be done. I suppose that if I was kidnapped by Terrorists they could ask me to write a essay on Why the Americans treat them badly, But I think that that is very unlikely.

Well anyway here is a copy of my essay have a read and leave and comments.
______________________________________________________
Describe a main conflict in a text you have studied and analyse how the conflict helped the author to present important ideas.

A main conflict in the text To Kill a Mockingbird is the conflic between people of a white race and coloured people of a slave culture. Harper Lee
used this conflict to provide an insight to racial prejudice in Alabama in the 1930's.

During the 1930's racial prejudice in Alabama was a feature of everyday life. Churchs were split into spereate congregations, one white and one
black. At that time the justice system was also split in two. There was white justice and black justice.
During the court scene in the text, the black justice system was used. Tom Robinson (A black man accused of raping a white woman) stood
before an entirely white male jury. Although no sufficent evidence is found against Tom, he is still found guilty. Why?
Well in my opinion it is because Tom Robinson is black and Maycomb's lifestyle is to look down at the black race. To me the guilty verdict
is not ethical.

"It ain't right, Atticus,' Said Jem
'No son, it's not right"

The idea that Harper Lee allowed us to peer into is how people treat each other based on racial features. This is based on how black people
were treated in Maycomb during the 1930's. Harper Lee has given us an insight into the world of human nature. Where humans treat other people
who are different any way they want because they feel they have an advantage.

"The simple hell people give other people without even thinking"

I conclude that Harper Lee showed us a conflict between a people of a white race and coloured people of a slave culture in the text to show her
opnion on how humans treat those who are different without even thinking about what they are like inside.

By Xavier Smith

2 comments:

Carleen said...

Hi there Xav,
Hate to admit it but essay writing has helped me in my job. The ability to comprehend a document (or book in this case) then reconstruct these ideas in a simple yet ordered approach is key to what I do on a day to day basis. Does that crush your dreams of getting out of english in future? What I really want to know is what the heck to I do pythagoras theorem from 5th form math? Still can't do fractions let along pythag!!!!
Cheers - Carleen
p.s. welcome to the world of blogging

Carleen said...

For your next blog Steve would like tips on the best way to film someone snow skiing. Tips, tricks etc.