Thursday, December 11, 2008

My rant on games nowadays

Posted by X

I have notice that games these days are mostly cinematic experiences. Yes it makes a game great in has great immersion. But sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Lets take Heavenly Sword for example. This game had great potential BUT it was too cinematic in a way that it seemed to draw me away from the story. Yes it had those horrible lengthy cut-scenes.

On the other hand there are games like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. This game is cinematic and doesn't have those lengthy cut-scenes BUT this is a game that lacks in immersion Every time I became completely involved in the game I saw a NPC get stuck on a 2 inch rock. And I was pulled down from my mystical wonderland of oblivion and thrown back into the world of reality.

And there are games in the middle Lets look at Fable 2.This game was promised with the universe from Peter Molyneux but all we got was a master piece of a game. In my eyes anyway. OK it does have its flaws: The main storyline looking allot similar to Fable and those annoying invisible walls and even being promised total freedom and not being able to kill children (Makes me sound like a serial killer, But it is taking away from our freedom). Yet apart from these flaws they made the game a cinematic game that has immersion and no lengthy cut-scenes (in total cut-scenes add up to about 6-7 min's) Yet there is allot of game play-cut-scenes but you can skip those and still walk around while they are happening.

Check out my gamespot page at

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Indescent_X/


See my next blog for my review of Fable 2

Gamer

0 comments: